After reading 5 things you don't know about Russell Davies I thought I'd join in. It's often more difficult choosing what to write than writing it and these kind of things make the decision easier. I've kept myself to myself here most of the time so there's probably quite a lot you don't know. Here are a few things to get started:
- Not surprising but I don't think I've said it before - my favourite book by miles is The Catcher in The Rye. My favourite film by miles is Gregory's Girl. I don't have a favourite song.
- I'm left-handed and am really proud of it as it's the only thing that's ever been different about me. I am secretly pleased when people I like turn out to be left-handed and quietly believe that left-handers are cooler. I feel a bit short-changed at not being artistic, musical or talented though. The only quality it has brought me is a special clumsiness but in this case I am proud to be gauche.
- My strangest job was a placement student at the National Sound Archive in London. I spent two weeks indexing the NME and Smash Hits and then as penance, 2 weeks transferring tapes of steam train noises from cassette to reel-to-reel in the Sound Effects Department. It's harder than you think as setting the sound levels is a bit of a challenge as there's 44 mins of quiet chuff-chuff-chuff-chuff and then an unexpected CHOO CHOO which sends the needles off the scale.
- I was brought up Catholic and my confirmation name is Barbara. Saint Barbara was a child martyr which rather appealed to me as I leafed through the Ladybird Book of Saints. I must have been a melodramatic child. I swapped Catholicism for The Smiths when I was about 14 and steer clear of religion now.
- My biggest fear is potholing (as in caving). Enclosed spaces like lifts don't really bother me but anything tiny and underground gives me the fear. I sometimes forget this and go somewhere that terrifies me - most recently a Scottish lead mine; most memorably cave tubing in New Zealand.
I hope that was suitably revealing. Anyone reading please consider yourself tagged.