2008: the year on telly
I asked what was good on telly back in January and was grateful for some recommendations. This year I watched less tv than ever before, but what I watched I really liked. As there's already enough misery in the world I mainly stick to comedies and the odd reality tv show. I feel like I should apologise for that, but hey, life's too short. This is what I watched in 2008, in no particular order:
- Reality: The Apprentice (totally hooked on this), Dragon's Den, X Factor, Britain's Got Talent, Masterchef, Celebrity Masterchef, Come Dine With Me, The Restaurant - the competitive food programme was a rich seam of family entertainment; couldn't get attached to anyone in X-Factor after Laura got kicked out. A travesty, I tell you.
- Comedy: The In-Betweeners, Outnumbered, The IT Crowd, Flight of the Conchords, The Mighty Boosh, Arrested Development, Peep Show, Gavin and Stacey, Benidorm, Lead Balloon, 30 Rock, Big Bang Theory, No Heroes - particularly the first three. I laughed more at The In-Betweeners than anything for a very long time.
- Drama: Ugly Betty, Doctor Who, Hotel Babylon, Skins - not sure if they count as drama because they're not particularly serious. That's as dramatic as it got though.
- Documentaries: Magnetic North, The Department Store, Wonderland, the Jamie Oliver "pass it on" thing and some other things on BBC4 probably.
- Kids: Sorry I've Got No Head, The Slammer, Hedz (on CBBC) - these are all great family shows
- Culture/Commentary/Current affairs(?): Harry Hill's TV Burp, Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe, Have I Got News For You?, The Culture Show.
Not watched: soaps, property programmes, Big Brother, costume dramas - not that they're bad I just didn't watch them.
Started but not finished: The Wire, Mad Men. I lost interest in Mad Men near the end of the first series. It was bringing down my Sunday night. After so many recommendations from you lot I enjoyed the first series of The Wire but got stuck at the start of series 2. You're all going to tell me to stick with it, aren't you?
Any surprises there? Anything missing? What did you enjoy?